VP of Engineering
Founded over five years ago, KnowledgeHound was one of the first SaaS platforms to solve major pain points for the market research and insights industry. Today we’re changing the game for how companies create, discover, and share insights from their customer research data. In this time, we’ve managed to disrupt the way people inside many of the world’s best companies including Procter and Gamble, Whirlpool, Lyft (and more) put their research to work.
Our team in Chicago is a small but mighty powerhouse of great talent. You will report directly to the CEO & founder who worked at Procter & Gamble for several years and is now a serial entrepreneur, having been recognized as one of Chicago’s 40 Under 40. You will also work closely with the other members of your executive team, all of whom come from impressive past organizations and are the top of their game.
This role is a unique opportunity to make an immediate impact and influence all aspects of the business. We are pushing the boundaries of where market research can go and have started layering in data science and machine learning. This role requires creativity, agility, active problem-solving skills, strong people management skills, and a fun personality (life is too short to take ourselves too seriously). If you don't shy away from tough, but rewarding challenges, in a fast paced environment then you will love it here.
As we’re sure you’d like to know, here’s a glance at our tech stack. Python and Django microservices with REST interfaces, Elasticsearch and Postgres for indexing and storage, React on the frontend - all hosted in AWS which is managed via Terraform and Chef.
And last but not least, some of the benefits we provide:
- Competitive compensation package
- Full health, dental, and vision benefits, 401K, and life insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
- Loft office in Fulton Market with standing desks and beer in the fridge
- Unlimited pets for our Director of Happiness, Sammy, the Labrador Retriever
Description & responsibilities
As the VP of Engineering, you will be reporting directly to the CEO and will be responsible for all things tech. You will be growing and mentoring the tech team to deliver high quality, customer-focused products in a fast-paced agile environment. You will be working closely with Product Management and the rest of the organization to ensure alignment and communication around the product roadmap and its execution. You will be leading the implementation and build out of the Data Science strategy. You will be helping Sales with security requirements reviews, working with VP of Operations on budgeting, and you will get do some hands-on coding as well.
Other responsibilities include:
- Lead creation and execution of the platform’s technical strategy.
- Lead the continuous improvement of standards and practices, product quality, and timely delivery.
- We have a teaching & learning culture, bring something to teach and be good at mentoring others.
- 10+ years in software development with at least 4 years in management.
- Proven track record of delivering in fast-paced environments.
- Experience working across the organization to deliver quality products on time.
- Experience with building and managing self-organizing teams, facilitating feedback, and team culture.
- A strategic thinker comfortable making decisions with incomplete data - a risk analysis approach to decision making.
- Experience with distributed cloud architectures.
- Senior Engineer level expertise in at least one programming language, modern architectures, design, and DevOps.